Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Angel of Methy

Ashley Smith, the purpose-driven liar, got a lot of media drool all over her when she supposedly used her discussion of her religious faith to calm an escaped criminal who was holding her hostage after fleeing an Atlanta courthouse shooting that captured national media attention.

Well, turns out what she fed the guy wasn't just the opiate of the mass media, it was good, old-fashioned crystal meth. She tells a local newspaper that she quit drugs immediately after her ordeal, because, "If I did die, I wasn't going to heaven and say, `Oh, excuse me, God. Let me wipe my nose, because I just did some drugs before I got here.'"

"It's hard for people to understand the miracle of the story," she told the newspaper. "This was totally a God thing, to me in my life. This was God getting my attention, going, `I'm going to give you one more chance.'"

Her re-newfound faith, however, and her inexplicably obtained knowledge that God had issued a waiver specific to her, didn't keep her from accepting media accolades, while lying about the circumstances. And it didn't keep her from lying to investigators. Perhaps she wanted to keep getting those remunerative faith-based speaking engagements that God wanted to book for her.

According to her new book, she revealed a scar to her captor as evidence of the scourge of drugs. She obtained the scar during a car crash caused when she let go of the wheel in a drug-induced psychosis that led her to hear an inner voice that said, "Let go and let God."

Unfortunately, we still have a national news media that treats the car-crash encounter with God as a drug-induced psychosis, but her post-captivity redemption a genuine miracle. No wonder people like this still lie to us, and to the media.

More of her sickness and self-delusion can be found here (free registration required) and there's a list of her upcoming media blitz. Feel free to let the outlets she's using know that you want to see the news media challenge not just her dishonesty, but her religious delusion.

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home